We believe that travel is one of the most enriching, eye-opening experiences that a person can have. Travel breaks down barriers, eliminates prejudices, helps us expand our perspectives and view the world in a new way. We’re on a mission to show the world how to save money while traveling. We’re dedicated to finding the best ways to have memorable experiences on every budget. We hope you enjoy our stories and benefit from our travel tips. We love interacting with our subscribers, so we encourage you to comment on our articles and engage with us through social media.
Latest Travel Tips
Useful Travel Information
How we find the best travel tips
Most people go straight to Trip Advisor when they want to know about what to do or where to eat while traveling. While those websites can be useful at times, they usually aren’t the most reliable sources of information because most of the advice you get from these sites is just the opinion of random people who felt inclined to comment on a topic. On the surface, it sounds like it should make sense. After all, you’re getting the opinions from multiple people who have been there or done that. However, we have found that the vast majority of travelers don’t actually know how to find the best travel tips for a specific destination and, therefore, end up just doing what everyone else does. That means they easily fall victim to tourist traps and often don’t even realize it. In turn, these tourist traps get all of the attention on these types of websites.
We have found that the best way to find reliable information on a specific destination is to search for blog articles that were written by people who don’t have a vested interest in selling you something and who have clearly done their research. This is one of the steps that we take when looking for insider tips and hidden gems. The other thing we do is probably the most simple of all. We talk to locals. Locals generally know way more about an area than anyone else and they usually don’t have any vested interest in sending you to one place or another. Locals give you the most authentic opinions about certain places and are one of our most important resources when writing articles.
With all of our travel tips, we strive to help you save you money and have the most authentic experience in your chosen destination. We do everything we can to provide the most useful information so that you can make a conscious decision about what to do, which food to eat and where to stay.
How We Make You a Smarter Traveler
The fact that we travel so much leaves almost all of our friends and family in shock. They are always asking us, “How can you two afford to travel so much?!”. They’re astonished because we have done most of our traveling on only a single income or on no steady income at all. This brings us to the next goal of our blog: We want to help you become a smarter traveler. What does that mean? Well, traveling doesn’t have to be expensive like everyone thinks. We are here to help you get the best deals on hotels, save on vacation homes, show you how to minimize transportation costs or where to get the best deals on rental cars (if you absolutely need one) and how to save money on food while traveling (often the biggest expense!). We want to show you that paradise isn’t reserved for the rich and that you don’t need much money to take the vacation of your dreams.
We are currently traveling full time, saving for retirement, saving to buy or build a house and putting money away for a rainy day. You can too! And no, we are not earning an income from this blog.
We hope you enjoy our travel stories and benefit from our tips. Choose the destination from the menu to get all of the information you need for a fun and affordable vacation there! We also offer general travel tips and more specific articles about traveling on a budget to help get you in the right mindset for achieving your travel dreams. Please feel free to comment or contact us on Instagram with any questions. We’re happy to help! Happy travels!
4 Best Ways to Save Money While Traveling
One of the biggest areas we focus on with our blog is the best ways to save money while traveling. The number 1 excuse for not traveling is “I can’t afford it.” In most cases, that is simply not true, as there is always a way to travel cheap! We have an article dedicated to saving money while traveling on a budget, but here is a short list of the 4 best ways to save money while traveling:
- Stay somewhere with shared facilities (bathroom, kitchen, etc.).
- Cook as many meals as you can.
- Walk instead of taking public transit or other paid transportation services.
- Take Sandeman tours or other free tours.
Even following just one of these 4 tips will help save lots on your next trip. Combining all four is the key to cutting down on your biggest expenses while traveling. If you really need to watch your budget, then you should definitely read the article we mentioned above.
Quick Tips for the Self Planner
Planning your own trip gives you the peace of mind in knowing that you are responsible for where you go and where you stay. We totally get that. That’s why we wanted to offer up some quick tips for using some of the more popular booking platforms. Here’s one example:
When using Google Flights (if flying):
- You aren’t limited to searching from one destination to another. You can input up to 5 departure airports.
- You can also use the “explore” option to look at a map and see the cheapest flight prices to any destination around the world.
- When choosing a destination, you can use the price grid to find the cheapest dates to fly. This gives you a convenient graph, showing the dates with the lowest flight prices.
You’ll find more tips like this in our All-in-One Booking Resource, where we give you access to all of the best travel booking partners and show you how to get the best deals on travel.
Top 3 Inspirations for Our Travel Website
- Too much clickbait. Unfortunately, we live in the age of clickbait. It’s everywhere we look and we can’t avoid it. The problem has become so bad that you cannot even do an online search for a topic without coming across oversimplified titles that entice you to click on an article, only to leave you disappointed. Like most internet users, we want this to stop. This leads us to our next point.
- Lack of authenticity. Especially in the travel sector, there is an ever increasing lack of authenticity when it comes to travel articles. Everyone is essentially writing the same thing and just switching the words around a bit. You don’t need a Cliff Notes for travel since most articles are the same anyway. We want to bring the authenticity back to travel blogging and offer readers real value, which brings us to the last point.
- Lack of unique perspectives. Since everyone seems to be writing the same things, there seems to be no unique perspectives when it comes to travel. How can it be that everyone had the exact same experience, loved the exact same things and 100% of the trip was absolutely fabulous? That’s just not realistic. We do everything together and even then we don’t have the same experience. This is why we try to write from two unique perspectives (hence, he said or she said) that you won’t get from your cookie cutter travel blog.
6 Ways You Can Support Us
It would be our dream come true to spend the rest of our lives traveling the world together and collecting priceless experiences. Sadly, nothing is free; neither traveling nor maintaining this blog. This is where you can help and here’s how:
- Bookmark our website or pin our website in your browser so that you can come here first when you are ready to plan your next trip. There’s a good chance that we will have written some suggestions for you.
- If you can’t find what you’re looking for, contact us via Instagram with any questions you may have. We also have travel experience in many locations that we haven’t yet written about and we are happy to point you in the right direction (for free, of course!).
- Use the helpful links found on our website, which take you directly to the page you need, meaning less work for you. Affiliate links give us small commissions on bookings that you make through our website at no additional cost to you. The commission is fixed and we get a percentage of it. By not using our links, the giant corporations get the entire commission. Regardless, you pay the same price.
- If you like what you read, we encourage you to share our articles with your friends and family via Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter or whichever platform you prefer. This helps our travel blog extend it’s reach and find others who may benefit from our content as well.
- Support our online shops! We have tons of useful digital products that you can purchase from our Etsy shop for digital products. We have gift ideas like printable coupons as well as useful travel products like the travel itinerary and travel bucket list or a number of premium templates! We offer our readers exclusive discounts too, just ask! Not in a purchasing mood? You can still show us your support by favoriting our shop and products!
- Give us feedback! This might be the best way to help us. We need to know if something we have written is unclear, if information is missing or if it is just plain wrong. Sometimes things change in an area and we may not have been able to update our article. Always let us know by leaving a comment on the article. The same applies for purchases made in our Etsy shop. 🙂
12 thoughts on “Travel Tips for Every Budget”
Some interesting and useful tips in here – will definitely keep it in mind for our next long trip – post corona that is!
Hey Loredana, we’re glad to hear that! This Corona pandemic just can’t be over fast enough! XD
I really love the story of how you guys met!
Aw thank you so much! It’s been a crazy ride since then 😀
Hello Ryne & Denise! I really appreciate you posting this! I will use this for reference next time I go to Russia!
Hi Eric! We’re happy to have been of help. 🙂 Enjoy your upcoming trip!
I have a travel blog and I totally agree that the number one excuse for not traveling is “I can’t afford it” – I hear this all the time. One of my biggest cost-saving tips is I bought a timeshare on the resale market on eBay for $207. Long story short, I get to stay in resorts all over the world for $199 a week 🙂 Travel is only as expensive as you make it. Nikki
Thanks for sharing that tip with us! Sounds like you made a pretty good deal. 😀 You’re absolutely right! There’s always a way to make it work. 🙂
I am so happy somebody finally acknowledges what Trip Advisor is and how it works! Any I agree that in many cases you can find better information by reading blog posts, especially posts by people who can compare what they experienced to other experiences 🙂
We’re glad you see it our way! Don’t get us wrong, we don’t want to discourage anyone from using Trip Advisor because it can be beneficial in many ways, but it’s just surprisingly hard to find reliable information when it comes to “real experiences.”
Thanks for sharing such a piece of beautiful information with us. I hope you will share some more info about budget travelers.
Best places to visit in Switzerland
Hey, thanks for the compliment! 🙂 We’re updating our website constantly, so keep checking back or subscribe to our newsletter to stay up to date. 😀