As the summer sun slowly fades, the picturesque landscapes of Germany transform into a breathtaking spectacle of vibrant autumn colors. If you’re a nature enthusiast and eager to explore the beauty of fall, Germany offers an array of stunning destinations that should top your travel list. From the Chiemgau Alps to the enchanting Moselle Valley, and many places in between, this article will guide you through the must-see places for a memorable fall adventure in Germany.
- We highly recommend the Stoaner Alm in Reit im Winkl. Not only do they have amazing beer and food, they also have an amazing view of the Chiemgau Alps from their beautiful restaurant.
- Where to Stay: FeWo Piccolo in Ebbs
- Why: FeWo Piccolo offers cozy rooms and is known for its warm hospitality. It’s an excellent base for exploring the Chiemgau Alps and the stunning Entenlochklamm.
Where to go:
- Nestled at the border of Germany and Austria, the Chiemgau Alps provide a captivating backdrop for a fall adventure. One of the highlights here is the Entenlochklamm, an awe-inspiring natural wonder characterized by its serene, deep gorge, cascading waterfalls, and emerald-green waters. For a stunning view, head to the Suspension Bridge Klobenstein, which, though technically in Austria, offers breathtaking vistas of the Alps and the Entenlochklamm below.
Burg Eltz and the Moselle Valley
- You’ll definitely want to try Weinhaus Ibald in Hatzenport. They have the most amazing Flammkuchen and wine. We come here all the time, so we might see you there 😉
- Where to Stay: Alter Winzerhof in Hatzenport
- Why: Alter Winzerhof is a charming guesthouse located close to Burg Eltz. It’s known for its comfortable rooms and an excellent breakfast, providing a great starting point for your castle adventure. There’s a bus that will take you straight to the castle.
Where to go:
- Burg Eltz is a fairytale-like castle surrounded by dense forests. To fully immerse yourself in the fall charm, skip the shuttle and take a leisurely stroll down the paved road. From the top, you’ll be rewarded with a panoramic view of the castle, nestled amidst a vibrant, colorful landscape. It’s a sight straight out of a storybook.
- The Moselle Valley, famous for its vineyards and charming villages, is a delightful spot to experience the magic of autumn. For an unforgettable viewpoint, visit Hatzenport and head to the Winzerhütte. The sight of the Moselle River winding through vine-covered hills is breathtaking. What makes it even more captivating is the white church, creating a striking contrast against the fall colors.
Freiburg and the Black Forest
- You should check out the Markthalle. There’s plenty of different food vendors to try!
- Where to Stay: StayInn Hostel und Gästehaus in Freiburg
- Why: StayInn Hostel und Gästehaus provides budget-friendly options in Freiburg. It’s highly rated for its cleanliness, friendly staff, and proximity to the city’s attractions. A great choice for budget travelers.
Where to go:
- In the heart of the Black Forest lies the charming city of Freiburg, surrounded by lush greenery and stunning vistas. Just outside the old town is Schlossberg, a gorgeous park with an abundance of hiking trails and viewpoints. One of the most beautiful viewpoints is Ludwigshöhe, where you can witness the city and its surroundings blanketed in the warm hues of fall.
Germany’s fall beauty is unrivaled, and these must-see places are just a glimpse of the enchanting landscapes waiting to be explored. From the dramatic Entenlochklamm in the Chiemgau Alps to the fairytale castle of Burg Eltz in the Eifel and the picturesque Moselle Valley, these destinations are a treat for the eyes during the autumn season. So pack your bags, lace up your hiking boots, and get ready for a journey through the colorful splendor of fall in Germany.